Wednesday, March 08, 2006

You kept reminding me of what I am

The title of todays blog is taken from a song called "once a thief". The lyrics go something like ; Once a thief, always a suspect. Once a liar, never be believed.

The song then centres around the idea that because the protagonist was once a thief he will never be allowed to forget it and as my title has it, people keep reminding me of what I am. This then somehow lead me to start thinking of what we are as christians, and what we once were and how it is very easy to forget that. (It is difficult to follow my thought patterns sometimes, I know!)

Being entirely honest with you all, I know I frequently think about how good it is being a christian and make the distinction between myself and secular people. Obviously a Christian there are some differences but I often get caught in the trap of thinking or saying "why would you do that" or "what sort of people are interested in that". Then later on I think about it some more and realise I know exactly, what sort of people.....people like me. Without the grace of God I would be in exactly the same position as the people I condemn, even if I don't mean to do it, when I think how I am now better than them, having been saved.

I feel that I am rambling slightly and not making myself very clear so I will end by letting God (through Paul) explain. The following verse is from 1 Timothy 1:15-16 and somes up pretty neatly that God saves us when we are just as bad, if not worse, than everyone else.


Here is a trustworthy saying that deserves full acceptance: Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners— of whom I am the worst.
But for that very reason I was shown mercy so that in me, the worst of sinners, Christ Jesus might display his unlimited patience as an example for those who would believe on him and receive eternal life.

To this end I pray that everyone I know will keep reminding me of exactly what I am!

1 comment:

Cathy said...

It's true, Magnum, thankyou, for all of us.

It's the very fact that we suck that glorifies God's mercy and grace. It's the very fact that we are weak that glorifies His strength... our folly glorifies His wisdom, our poverty His riches, our faithlessness His faithfulness...

Give thanks to the Lord, for He is good; His love endures forever.